Wednesday, January 21, 2015

21 Day Fix Week 1 Report

I decided not to keep up with the daily reports of what I ate, because the types of food I ate got pretty repetitive. Monday began week 2 and I figure it would be best to give a weekly wrap up.

Beginning weight on Day 1: 141.6
Beginning weight on Day 7: 137.4
Total weight lost: 4.2 lbs

I'm pretty excited at the results. A little over 4 pounds in one week. I'm going to be honest and say this is 100% of the diet portion. It's been a rough go with the baby lately, her reflux is getting worse and sleep is hard to come by for her. So imagine the loss had I actually done the exercise portion of the program, which I intend to start today.

Now for my thoughts. I am still craving my normal junk. I kept hearing "Give it a few days, those cravings will go away." While they died down quite a bit, I find myself lingering over any kind of junk food, from a PB&J sandwich to cookies to the ice cream my kids get after dinner. I still can't wait to get through this program because I just want something good. I am trying to get out of this mindset because if I don't attempt to keep these changes being made, I will just end up gaining the weight back. I'm finding a lot of what I've heard about this diet not to be true. I've also read that people find all of this energy after a certain amount of time on good for you foods, that they don't feel groggy or foggy and feel better. I don't feel any different. I'm not bounding with all of this energy from more fruits and veggies and a lack of processed junk. This could be blamed on the complete lack of sleep and chronic exhaustion.

I'm not going to lie, the lack of choices is getting old. I've started to branch out and try new things but they have all turned out to be completely terrible. I will go over that more next week. I am eating less in the way of veggies because I'm sick of the few that I will eat. Managing 4 servings of baby spinach, cucumbers and spring lettuce, because it's all I can stand to eat, every day gets very old, very fast. This isn't a spectacular program for someone who hates vegetables. I'm continuing to make the effort, trying to explore new ways of making vegetables, hiding vegetables even, to try to get them in, so I'm not giving up. There has got to be a way.

One thing that has bothered me about this program is how they hype up ways you can indulge. You can enjoy a glass of wine. You can enjoy chocolate. No, you really can't. Replacing food a couple of times a week with a glass of wine isn't indulging, especially if you are already struggling with sticking just to what you are allowed. And enjoying chocolate?
That is a "serving" of chocolate. A teaspoon full. That is not indulging, that is teasing. And with the limited amount of food, I can choose 10 chocolate chips or a smear of peanut butter. Peanut butter is a bit more filling. Shown here has been my breakfast the past couple of days, a gluten free waffle with peanut butter. I only wasted one of my teaspoons on chocolate chips one time, it just wasn't worth it.

I know it might seem like I'm complaining about this program, and I am, but this isn't meant to be easy.
I had to make a decision as to what was harder, eating like I had been eating and being completely unhappy with the way I looked, hiding my body under sweat shirts and staying out of pictures with my kids, or eating well, in proper amounts, and feeling better about myself. It's harder being heavier than I'd like to be. So while this is an extremely rough transition for me, I feel it's easier than the alternative. I'm already fitting back into the pile of shorts I have in my closet. We head to Florida in 5 weeks and I was afraid I would have to wear pants because I refused to buy shorts in a bigger size. I am seeing results and as much as I want to fight these changes, that's really the bottom line.


2 comments:

  1. Hang in there Joan - I wish eating healthy was easier! And more affordable too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! When I went shopping for week 1, food just for me, for 1 week, was $90. With a family of 6, eating so clean all of the time is not possible for us. As far as the ease goes, well, much like running, if it were easy everyone would do it! Hanging in there!

      Delete