Wednesday, June 12, 2013

12/4/2012 Still Going

As the days get shorter and shorter, I'm finding it harder and harder to get training runs in. I'll admit it, I'm well behind in the official training schedule. My longest run was just over 6 miles, and I know, following the official Galloway training schedule that runDisney puts out, I should be up to 7 miles. But time, daylight and warmth aren't very much on my side these days. Some runners head out early in the morning for a run. That is not, and will never be, me. My husband leaves for work at 6:15 am, meaning that if I were to try to get a run in before he left, I'd need to do it around 5:30 am. That's not happening here. I work at night and usually don't get to bed until midnight. And I'm not a morning person by any means, so getting up at 5 am, after less than 5 hours of sleep, to go for a run, or do anything for that matter just isn't in my playbook. I'd love to run during the day, but we only have an umbrella stroller. Walking for 30 minutes, very possible. Running, nope. I keep bugging the husband about getting a jogging stroller, but it hasn't happened yet. My husband doesn't get off of work until 5:30-6pm. Add a 45 minute commute and it's very much dark when he gets home. We get into the swing of dinner, bath time for the kids, homework for my oldest, and my motivation to get out is at zero. But I'm trying. I've done a handful of 5ks since my 10k on Oct 27. The Wanda Cline Memorial spirit run, the Color Run(FUN!!), a Gobble Gobble Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving day in my home town, and this weekend I have a Holiday 5k. I'm very much looking forward to that t-shirt(I love Christmas!!). I am improving. For my Thanksgiving day 5k, I finally broke 30 minutes for a 5k. I got an email the night of that race, and finished with a time of 29:54. I was thrilled. That's mid 9 minute miles. I did push myself out the door for a run last night. Lucky for me, our weather has been phenomenally warm, and when I headed out last night at nearly 7 pm, it was still in the 60s. Perfect, as I despise running, or leaving my house for that matter, in cold weather. I plan to do the same Wednesday night, and then do my 5k on Saturday morning. So I'm plugging along. I'm not training as hard as I'd like, and I know that's nobody's fault but mine, with my dozen excuses.

No comments:

Post a Comment