Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Disney Princess Half Marathon 2013 Weekend-Day 1 Part 2

While standing in line at the KT tape booth to have my knee taped, I noticed one of the lovely warning signs Disney put up around the Expo. Heat warnings.
Now heat warnings for a race like this don't mean weather in the 90s. There is a general rule of thumb for running outside, always dress like it's 20 degrees warmer than it's actually going to be. You body heats up, so while temps might be in the upper 60s to low 70s, comfortable for most people, running in it makes your body feel like it's running in 80 degree temps. Factor in humidity and it can get ugly. That's some foreshadowing for you. And to be honest, even seeing temps forecasted in the upper 60s, I didn't think much of it before seeing these signs. It made me take note and prepare accordingly(meaning tons of water!). We finished up at the mad house that was the Expo and headed over to have lunch. After lunch, with our room still not ready yet, we decided to head over to the Animal Kingdom. We rode Expedition Everest twice(one of my favorite rides), and because it was so warm, we decided to try Kali River Rapids, a ride neither of us had been on before. It's a water ride, but only a couple of people on each boat get truly soaked with water. Naturally I was in "that spot" and I got drenched. Not wanting to be soaking wet, we headed back to our resort, where our room was ready. We got changed and headed over to Epcot for dinner. Our dinner reservation was for the restaurant in Japan, Teppan Edo. I was craving sushi and Patty obliged. It's a very lovely restaurant and the hibachi chefs are very good at entertaining the guests. But I have to admit, the sushi left something to be desired. I would have thought, being in Japan, that the sushi would have more pizazz, but it didn't. I ordered two of the sampler plates, and ended up with rice with pieces of fish laid on top. It was tasty, but very plain. I'm glad to have dined in yet another country in Epcot, but I can't say this will be somewhere I'll go again. After dinner, we left Epcot and headed over to the Polynesian resort for a meet-up. I am a member of a running club on Fabebook called Pacebook Running Club. I absolutely love this group, it's supportive, fun and informative. Many of the group's members registered for the race were getting together for the famed Dole Whips and a view of the Wishes fireworks show. It was a fun meet-up. Patty and I had planned to attend the 5k the following morning, so we ducked out early, went back to our resort and headed to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment